Wednesday 6 May 2009

Pewter Live







It's been a while since my last blog. i'm still cracking on with my stain ceramics project but i've been slightly distracted lately with the Pewter Live project that I've entered. I've been working on producing a range of wearables for the jewelry brief. I began the project a few months ago making these foil prototypes based upon some pewter bottle tags that I came across .
The range of jewelry is meant to highlight how Drinking culture has changed. Alcohol is no longer valued as a precious commodity to be treasured, decanted and ornamented. Instead, it is enjoyed instantly.
I have adapted the traditional bottle tag making it wearable, decorating the person rather than the disused decanter, reusing a traditional product to produce something contemporary. I visited Wentworths factory today in sheffield and was able to cast my forms from the original moulds and adapt them for my project. much thanks to brian and peter for their asistance and smiles. I ended the day with 2 kilos of pewter, 15 cast,pierced and soldered tags. I now need to stamp out the lettering and get them on some beautiful models. The tags will be labeled with my friends and relatives favorite drinks and then photographed on the person.

No comments:

Post a Comment